Friday 20 August 2010

Audrey Dalton Presentation A Near Death Experience While Drowning Altered My Life Forever
A Near Death Experience While Drowning Altered My Life Forever
Audrey Dalton

Drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury related deaths, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). Understanding what drowning feels like is largely unknown, and based almost entirely upon scientific data. Drowning survivors need to speak about the near death process in order to better facilitate comprehension of the topic. No one expected me to survive, let alone be able to recount the details of what had occurred. At the age of five I drowned and was pronounced dead on arrival to the hospital, yet I saw all that transpired around me. As my body lay clinically dead on a hospital table I floated above it. Even though my parents were in a room on the other side of the hospital, I was able to recount where they were and what they said (see Holden & Avramidis, 2015). How was I able to see exactly what had happened in that emergency room and recount the exact words that were spoken? Growing up I refrained from speaking about my NDE, because most people could not comprehend what I was telling them. Within the past few decades, public perception has changed and an emerging acceptance of this phenomenon has enabled me to speak openly about my NDE. I believe I was granted the blessing to provide proof that another dimension exists outside of death. My NDE left me with many new abilities including the gifts of extra sensory perception and precognition. Near Death Experiences (NDEs) have been documented for centuries, bringing to light the existence of another dimension beyond death. People who have had an NDE can often recount the events that transpired during the time when they have been declared clinically dead. In my opinion first responders are better equipped both emotionally and psychologically to save a life if they are presented with information that is available regarding the NDE phenomenon. Surviving a severe drowning incident without sustaining severe disabilities is miraculous, and I have been extremely blessed to have thrived despite emotional and psychological obstacles. Fear of water remained in my subconscious for decades, and I eventually sought out therapy to overcome my fear. After learning how to swim at the age of twenty-seven, drowning prevention advocacy became my lifelong mission. It is estimated that almost half of the adult population in the United States does not know how to swim, and this statistic needs to change. Learning more about drowning and NDEs from drowning survivors can both enlighten first responders, as well as motivate non-swimmers to take lessons. References: Holden, J.M. and Avramidis, S. (2015). Near-Death Experiences While Drowning. Texas, USA: Eagle Editions - University of North Texas.

Citation: Dalton, A. (2017). Reflections About my Drowning-Related NDE and how I Integrated it Into my Life. In: Avramidis, S. (Ed.). Conference on Near-Death Experiences while Drowning (p. 11). Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA: International Swimming Hall of Fame.